Sunday, January 24, 2010

Week 4 "Captain Cooks Cottage"

Well hello again
So we are now into the final January week and it has been so much fun so far, and I actually am learning a lot as I go along.
I tend to find myself looking at things a lot more photographically and I am sure we all agree that cant be a bad thing but for some reason my wife just doesnt get as excited at cloud formations as I do { funny about that} ... :)
It now seems that now my Sunday sleepins are a thing of a past but I have been blessed with having awesome weather especially for at about 6.30am when I get on site to where I had planned to shoot that weeks image
I am trying to not have a specific theme in the way of locations and to offer some insight into this wonderful city I live in

So here is todays shoot
hang on i need a beer brb ... lol
arhhhhhhhhhhhh thats better
good old Miller Chill (yes we even have that downunder)

ok so where was I
thats right

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
ohhhhhhhhhh great its 5,00am again on a Sunday
today I am feeling just a little more fuzzy than usual why could that be.
thats right Red Wine will do that :)
but surprisingly I fling the legs out and hit the alarm to death
before she hits me to death remember I told you last week she is not a Sunday 5.00am Morning person {{laughs}}
after last weeks car key debarkle I was please to see them on the hook
its coffee time so I flick on the switch before jumping in the shower
then gulp that down and quietly say hoo roo to Mrs C and with camera bag tripod and GPS its to the car Terrence.




As this location was one of the places I was tossing up over last week I was pleased to see that it was a pretty fine morning not a great deal of clouds but enough
as I got closer to the city I noticed a few hot air Balloons starting their soar across the Melbourne CBD
I quickly got the 55-250 lens on but they were still to far away for keeper shots so an opportunity missed grrrrrrrr
one of my friend had kindly lent me his canon EF 10 -22mm lens and a new tripod he just bought
both are incredible to use the tripod really impressed me it has a pistol grip ball head that makes leveling horizons a breeze and is so much sturdier than mine so guess what i am getting soon lol ... shhhhhh its secret too ok
so I start my exploriation of Fitzroy Gardens and come across what I had thought was Cook's Cottage but it was actually called Sinclairs Cottage a small brick dwelling built in 1864 that James Sinclair lived in till he died at the age of 72 in 1881, Sinclair was the man responsible for the planting of some of the magniciant trees that are scattered thru the Gardens.



SINCLAIR'S COTTAGE





I then noticed the sign pointing to "Captain Cooks Cottage"
the first thing that strikes you is how small the cottage is but it is quaint and well maintained
it has a small traditional English garden surrounding it that i am sure would look magnifiant when all the flowers are blooming
but as we are still in the grip of a severe drought its amazing anything is alive there.
Although Captain Cook never actually lived in the house it was reportedly to belong to his parents and there is little doubt that he would have visited many times

THE SHOOT
for the image I captured 13 frames at F/25 to give good depth of field
and an 1so of 100
with such a high F# the shutters were very delayed from 3.2 sec to 1/500 and I guess I was blessed that there was no wind at all or the images would have looked all over the place

well I hope you enjoyed my morning out there
also at the gardens they had a miniature tudar village that was also quite interesting and a hand carved tree stump thats is adorned with australian animals and fairys
"hense the name "The Fairy Tree"
I will put some up on DPC asap

Captain Cooks Cottage




THE OUTTAKES
I wasnt to sure which to submit there were so many options this cottage provided

I didnt choose this one mainly because I felt the other was a more realistic image this has that look of over done HDR
I may be wrong I would be interested to see what you all think




This one I was almost going to submit as it showed a lot of detail in the Cottage
had the sky been more detailed and not so blown out I probably would have



more Information
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooks

No comments:

Post a Comment