Saturday, January 16, 2010

Week 3 "St Kilda Pier Kiosk"

So another 5.00am start to Sunday for week 3's submission


it was a toss up between 2 locations i had thought of during the week


I will do the other next week :)


I had been to this location before for a challenge on DPC that failed badly *well not as bad as I thought looking back* but anyway I wasnt too wrapped in the image after all

http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=810760



THE DAY BEGINS

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz damn already 5.00am
I crawl outta bed trying not to wake the Mrs "she is sooo NOT a morning person" well at 5.00am who could blame her?

so first things first hit play on the kettle for the heart starting coffee

brush the biters and as usual grab the GPS as I head out the door .... "hmmmmmmmmm hang on somethings missing
"CAR KEYS -??
" ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh chit where are they????????

well I want to get there as the light breaks so I'll grab the spare set and find them when I get home

so off we go I was still in too minds where to go till the sky lightened up and there was some amazing fluffy white clouds "perfect for St Kilda."

It was the first week I had had some decent clouds to use in the HDR images
The best part about doing this early especially on a Sunday is parking is a breeze especially around this place that is thriving by mid mornings with the craft markets etc that are on the esplanade

As I wander along the pier an young asian kid is walking back fishing rods in hand and I ask "any luck?" with a smile and a shake of his head I get a no
further along I see a familiar sight " A Photographer" as i get closer I get a traditional Australian greeting "G'day" then he proceeds to shoot the sun bursting from behind the clouds " man that was one awesome sight the rays beaming upward " I did try shooting it HDR but it didnt work out there was too much movement in the clouds that threw off the alignment"

As I got to the Pavillion there was another Photog who remarked " hey your as crazy as us, I laughed and said "Yep!! but look at what those who are sleeping are missing out on"
and we all went seperate ways to do what we planned.

THE KIOSK

A timeline history about the Kiosk
1859 - Pier is built after a storm destroys the former Fitzroy street jetty.

1903 - Frances Parer a caterer submits plans to the council for a Kiosk.
1904 - Plans are drawn up by James Morell and the Kiosk is completed.

1905 - Parer operates the Kiosk living on site and is know as Parer's Pavillion although its offical name is Austral Refreshment Rooms.

1939 - Noble and Ivy Kerby take over the lease and operate the Kiosk for 18 years.

1940 - the 40's prove the heyday for the pier as it shares the beach with another StKilda icon "the baths".

1959 - Noble Kerby passes away his son Colin and wife Judy take over the lease.

1970 - The Pier is demolised replaced with reinforced concrete and the Kiosk place back onto it.

1987 - Australia's Bicentennial year sees a $1mill refurbishment to the Kiosk.

1991 - with rental increases growing the Kerbys retire to sail the world and the Kiosk opens under new management.

2003 - on a dark September night the Kiosk is a vitcim of an arsonist and is burnt to the ground.

2004 - 12 mths after the Kiosk is destroyed a $2.75 mill restoratioin plan is unveiled.

2004 - November the St Kilda Pier arsonist is sentenced to 3 years jail.

2006 - the Kiosk is completed rebuilt to the original plans from 1904

for more info on the Pier and Kiosk visit
http://www.stkildapierkiosk.com.au/index.html


MY SUBMISSION FOR WEEK 3

I shot 13 frames rangeing from
1/8 sec to 1/125 sec
@ f/22
100 iso

used Photomatix Pro to merge the frames
then
In CS4 did some dodge and burning and tweaking levels and curves
noise reduction and sharpening
rotated the image a little to straighten the horizon
for the border I used the Filters Unlimited "Glass Border" Plugin

I hope you enjoyed this adventure as much as I did

here is my image




BTW : I found the keys and she went nuts at me as I had left them in the lock of letterbox since Friday afternoon when I got home from work and checked the mail mind you this was after I had gone thru the rubbish bin and that wasnt fun

so all in all a fruitfull Sunday

Cant wait for Week 4 now

Till next week be safe and happy shooting







No comments:

Post a Comment